Wednesday, October 5, 2011

1 Nephi 10

Christlike Attributes
verse 3:
"they should be destroyed, even that great city, Jerusalem, and many be carried away captive into Babylon" Red
"they should return again, yea, even be brought back out of captivity" Blue
"they should possess again the land of their inheritance." Blue
verse 4:
"a prophet would the Lord God raise up among the Jews—even a Messiah, or, in other words, a Savior of the world." Blue
verse 6:
"all mankind were in a lost and in a fallen state, and ever would be" Red
"save they should rely on this Redeemer." Blue
verse 8:
"he is mightier than I, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose" Green
verse 10:
"the Lamb of God, who should take away the sins of the world. Blue
verse 11:
"should make himself manifest, by the Holy Ghost, unto the Gentiles" Blue
"rise from the dead" Green
verse 13:
"unto the fulfilling of the word of the Lord, that we should be scattered upon all the face of the earth." Red
verse 14:
"they should be gathered together again" Blue
verse 18:
"For he is the same yesterday, to-day, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world." Blue
verse 19:
"the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost" Blue
"the course of the Lord is one eternal round" Blue
verse 21:
"Wherefore, if ye have sought to do wickedly in the days of your probation, then ye are found unclean before the judgment-seat of God; and no unclean thing can dwell with God; wherefore, ye must be cast off forever." Red
Commentary
This chapter is almost a rainbow in my Book of Mormon. It probably would be closer to one if I had chosen more than three colors. :D It was hard to decide upon some things, like verse 8. Is being mightier than John the Baptist an attribute? It seems like it's something… so it went green.

So, it's quite possible I broke my rule of not marking the same things twice in the same chapter here. There was just so many destructions and gatherings that I just kept marking. So, uh… sorry. Never said I was perfect. :)

Verse 18. Blue? Green? Being the same forever, is that "Christlike"? Or just a neutral attribute? I'll be honest, I have no clue. But since it's a very common verse that we all associate with Christ, I made it blue. Ironic that the verse that I struggle choosing a color also happens to be pretty much the thesis of this project…

Second half of verse 19… perhaps should be green?

The more I mark red things in the Book of Mormon, which are mainly, "I will destroy the wicked," the more I think that all the destruction in the OT probably follows the same pattern and will make more sense. The difference, I hypothesize, is that we won't necessarily see the wickedness nor the warnings for every single person/city. And we'll see the destruction firsthand instead of just reading that God will destroy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment